[rant]
WOW, could there be a more annoying product! Its absolutely necessary because any multi-person company who doesn't use source control is heading for disaster, but man has it been giving me headaches lately.
Its probably because I am a nublet and I am doing something wrong, but it just seems really unintuitive. Perhaps its the integration module that allows you to access it from VS.NET 2003 because to tell the truth I don't have so many troubles using Team Explorer inside VS2005, and admittedly it is fairly straight forward for standard applications, but it creates some nasty headaches when working with web projects.
You see my problem is that if I open a project from source control it all opens smoothly, but if Visual Studio exits unexpectedly then when I re-open it the source control mechanism tries to open it from source control again, and it throws a lot of errors because the files are already there and stuff. I suspect that the problem is that until you explicitly save the solution (which involves checking it out for saving) , the copy that is already on your disc does not actually reflect the solution you have been working with.
Fair enough I suppose but why, then, does it not check out when you open it from source control in the first place? If the default operation was to check out the file with an exclusive lock one could imagine a reasonable case for not checking out files that you don't absolutely need to check out, but since as far as I can tell, I am not actually getting a lock when I check out, there is absolutely no reason not to check out the entire solution. In any case, it shouldn't really matter whether you have checked out the solution or not because at the end of the day your source control mappings et al should not be stored in the TFS server's source repository anyway, otherwise the next guy would check out your mappings.
Anyhow, anyone who finds SVN or CVS annoying, you aint seen nothing yet, those two are mind numbingly simple, and present nothing remotely resembling an annoyance.
[/rant]
Thursday, December 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment