Today's subject is Net Neutrality, and Internet legislation in general. In America there is currently a law which is being worked on which deals with whether or not the network providers should be allowed to content-shape what goes through their network. On the face of it I would say a very loud "NO", why should I pay money to have my ISP tell me what I can and can't put down my internet connection. But, by all accounts the Senator in America who is supposed to be in charge of the whole Net Neutrality is incredibly Technology-Illiterate, and if there is one thing I can not stand, it is people making laws about things they know nothing about, so I would rather that there be no legislation done at all than bad legislation either way.
Which brings me to my other topic, legislating about the internet, particularly in America. I wonder if it should be done at all. Most of the parts of the internet I use, and probably most of you too, revolve heavily around the US, so it would be safe to say, from my perspective that America pretty much controls the Internet. But, the internet, I feel, shouldn't be controlled by anyone: as long as its users aren't breaking any laws (or as long as those that are are prepared to face the consequences of their actions), it should be up to its users to do what they want with. So, if the US government goes and passes legislation saying that certain types of content can/should be prioritised over others, or that certain clients should get prefferable treatment, then not only will it affect Americans, but it affects the rest of us too, and if that happens I will be angry. Other countries can do what they want to inside their borders, but if what they do starts affecting me negatively, through no fault of my own, then whatever they are doing is un-acceptable.
So there's the problem, what's the solution. I was about to propose that there should be a treaty between governments that says they all agree not to regulate the internet, but then I realised that our government may well not be allowed to kick Telecom's ass into giving us all a fair deal with internet access. Anybody got any ideas? Feel free to discuss.
Friday, October 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment