Wednesday, February 08, 2006

2mbit coming soon

That is right, I will soon be the proud owner of a 2mbit ADSL connection. I am switcihing providers from Xtra to Orcon because Orcon are cheaper than Xtra. There are roumours that Orcon and the other suppliers who undercut Xtra are simply oversubscribing their bandwidth into Telecom (the owners of Xtra), but I haven't really heard any nightmare stories about Orcon so I am going for it. Sadly the upload speed will still be limited to 128k so it won't help my external access all that much, but hey at least I will be able to download stuff really fast!

The 2mbit will also help with things like Skype stealing most of our current 256k connection so hopefully my flatmates and I won't be able to affect eachother's user experience as much.

I am also looking forward to setting up my servers (once I get my room back to myself), and getting things like VPN set up so that I can access my network remotely from universtiy etc. I think it will make life a whole heap easier when I leave assignments on my computer! I am going to set myself up with a file server which I will store all of my uni stuff on, that way it will always be accessible to me.

Lastly, I have another blog which is solely about my riding experiences. It is located at http://rideforlife.wordpress.com, please check it out.

No comments: