Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Back on the Bike!

That's right, I had my first ride back on my new bike today. It was only very short (about 6km), but my knee felt solid the whole way which was good. I am going to have to take it very easy to start off with so that I can build up some strength in my knee; I also have to wear a brace (or have my knee strapped) whilst riding, for pretty much the rest of my life (well there is a chance that my knee will completely recover over time, but quite a long time).

THE PROBLEM WITH MY KNEES
So, here's the real reason why I have been out of action for around eight weeks: I have stupid knees. Apparently the joint between the Tibia and Fibula in both of my knees are a little loose, combine that with my bad habit of not stretching after exercise (well I have changed that now obviously), and you get a really tight left ham-string, pulling on an already loose joint, which makes it looser (by stretching the already long ligaments), to the point where I experience pain whilst cycling or walking up stairs or lifting heavy stuff. So, I have exercises to strengthen the knee and lengthen the ham-strings, and I must also have the loose joint strapped tight in order to prevent pain.

Well, at least I can ride now. I would like to take this opportunity to thank my physio, Scott, from the Auckland University Physiotherapy practice who has been really great, and has helped me get to a point where I can get back to riding.

No comments: