I noticed something this morning, after upgrading to the RTM version of Vista: Windows Media Player seems to be running some sort of automatic compressor (as in a DSP device which takes loud sounds and makes them less loud) that you can't control. I noticed it because every drum hit, or loud-ish bass note or guitar hit the volume would dropp off.
I found that I had my EQ turned up quite a lot (boosting the stuff I wanted boosted instead of cutting the stuff I didn't want boosted). I changed it so that the smiley face was in the negative half of the sliders and turned up the master volume, and hey, no more compression!
Must be some anti-earbud-deafness protection. Probably a worthy cause but it should be optional for those of us who don't use earbuds.
Monday, February 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment